Wednesday, August 15, 2007

SUNN O))) ARTICLE IN NY TIMES


It's a bit dated, but I'm a little late coming to the doom drone party....here's a nice article (albeit with an extremely poor title) in the New York Times about Sunn O))), Boris & the rest of the Southern Lord Records gang:

HEADY METAL

And if you haven't listened to Sunn O))) yet, do yourself a favor and pick up one of their albums. They've completed altered my perception of what metal (a genre I was never much interested in before) could be and turned me on to some other great groups such as Earth, Electric Wizard and Boris.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heady Metal. Jesus.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the Dark Side, my brother.

jay said...

I initially started appreciating Sunn o))) as an experimental drone band (they remind me a bit of Tony Conrad if he were a basshead), but the metal elements have been appealing to me more and more.

It probably doesn't hurt that I started on my Sunn o))) phase around the same time as my psych/stoner rock phase (Mammatus, Witch, etc.), which carries some metal elements as well.

I've started listening to Earth, Pelican, Red Sparowes (who are more post-rock than metal, but still really dig them), Nadja, etc. as well. Any recommendations for bands that have a similar sound or are on the more avant-garde side of heavy music?

Casey said...

Sounds like you're already listening to the best of the bunch.

I really love Nadja and Boris. Pelican, I think are boring and a bit contrived. If you wanna get really weird, check out Kayo Dot. They're all over the goddamn place, but in a good creepy drone way, not in a Mr. Bungle wank way.

Anonymous said...

Oops — wrong account. Weird.