Tuesday, March 11, 2008

DAVY LAUTERBACH

A co-worker of mine turned me on to this article about Davy Lauterbach, a former artist for "The Simpsons" who now paints photo-realistic Olan Mills style portraits of children. With, um, mental challenges. Apparently they're becoming incredibly popular amongst the Hollywood crowd (Bill Murray and Luke Wilson both own one).

I have to admit that they're fairly intriguing. I don't usually care for photo-realism, but the semi-surreal quality make them somehow cute, compassionate, offensive and revolting at the same time.

4 comments:

Tanner M. said...

offensive and revolting maybe... but am i supposed to get a chubby looking at these?

the le duo said...

now there are 2 reasons why i want my first born to be a retard!

jay said...

Those comments just solidly confirmed my decision to make you both part of my wedding party.

Casey said...

I'm fascinated by both photorealism AND retarded kids. So this really makes my afternoon.