Friday, April 06, 2007

YOU'RE GONNA MISS ME



The wonderful Palm Pictures has released a new documentary about Roky Ericson, the eccentric and brilliant leader of the 13th Floor Elevators, called "You're Gonna Miss Me". The film chronicles Roky's music career, as well as his debilitating issues with drug use and mental illness. Although this theme sounds familiar, it still looks like a great film.

It will be playing in "select theaters" soon (read: not in Burlington), but I'm sure will be out as one of Palm's wonderful DVD releases soon.

Speaking of rock docs, when we are we are going to get together for our Rockumentary screening evening? I'd definitely like to do one this month; maybe start with a classic? Let's put it up to a vote:

Don't Look Back [Special Edition](Bob Dylan)
Gimme Shelter (Rolling Stones)
Woodstock
Festival Express (Grateful Dead, Janis Joplin, The Band)
Monterey Pop (Hendrix, Joplin, The Who)
Other (write-in vote)


We can do it at my place or whatever's good for everyone. Let me know the when, what & where.

**UPDATE** The DVD release date for "You're Gonna Miss Me" is tentatively scheduled for July 10th.

5 comments:

the le duo said...

I've never seen 'monterey pop'...

jay said...

And I just bought it (the Criterion Collection version)--I'll hold off on watching it if that's what everyone wants to watch.

Anonymous said...

Can we do this soon? I really think you guys should see "Mayor of the Sunset Strip." I swear — I'd not steer you wrong. Then maybe "New York Doll."

PS: can I come?

jay said...

Casey, it's not a rockumentary party without you--of course you can come!

I'm also not adverse to a double-feature--maybe Monterey Pop & Mayor of Sunset Strip?

If everyone's willing to make a trip out to South Burlington, we can do it at my place next week or weekend. If someone wants to host downtown, I'm up for any night.

Josiah said...

Quite worthwhile information, thanks so much for the post.
here | here | here